Thursday, November 21, 2013

Real Superpower

A REAL Superpower

Have you done something that you regretted?  Perhaps you made a really bad decision and wronged someone - maybe even a friend or a family member.  I sure have and it seems to be almost unavoidable despite our best intentions doesn't it?

When we all trip, fall or outright fail we can carry that with us, this failure - like a ball and chain.



As a father of three young children, I am a constant witness to things getting broken, an outburst of rage and yes, even lying from my little ones.  As inspector general and law enforcement officer of my home it is my duty to bring these failings to light so as to avoid another bruise, hurt feeling or broken lamp...and I do.

So what about us, us adults?  We operate in a world where the propensity for making mistakes and hurting others is higher and carries greater consequences.  



What do we do when we are wronged or when we wrong others?
 

Driving down to Boston is almost a guarantee that we'll encounter someone cutting us off, providing us an undesired hand communication, or simply scaring us half to death.  How do we handle that?

At work, at home, or even at church, we get our feelings hurt or perhaps become offended, don't we?  As sure as the weather will change in New England every 5 minutes, these things happen.  

The question then becomes how do we deal with this offense when we make it, or someone does to us?  There are only two ways.


One way to handle a situation when someone wrongs us is to become upset and hold a good old Yankee-style grudge, and carry that to the grave.  Or, if we screw-up, we don't admit it, own-up and certainly don't apologize for it. We just plod ahead.    

The problem with this is it creates ongoing friction, shame, resentment and guilt.  

The other day I witnessed one of my boys smacking the other pretty hard.  So sheriff Jeff ran in to arrest and scold this hooligan.  In that moment I had my pointer finger in the air, and my mouth was just opening to let him have it—then it hit me, how is he different than me? What about that morning when I really screwed-up and asked for God's forgiveness and grace?  Don't my kids, our workmates, or spouses deserve the same?  Yes they do, and it is one of the hardest gifts to give. Isn't it?


Jesus tells us that all we need to do is ask for His forgiveness, admit our failing, repent and we are forgiven.  If you have ever done just that in prayer you know, no you feel his grace poured upon you.  It sets you free.  No shackle, no ball and chain, but love and forgiveness.


John Newton the author of the song Amazing Grace, was himself quite the wretched man indeed.  

He mistreated slaves and was an all around miserable being.  A very long story short, this man admitted all his failings and turned from his ways.  He gave himself to the mercy of Jesus, asked for forgiveness, and he was forgiven, and more.  The magnitude of grace he felt was overwhelming.  Grace changed this man.  His life and conversion and his works became an iconic demonstration of grace and forgiveness.  

Grace, forgiveness set this man free.

So as I ran into the room looking to scold, I hesitated, and instead extended grace to my little boy. I didn't raise my voice, I didn't spank, I didn't scold - I extended grace.  I allowed him to understand why what he did was wrong, in a gentle way. Honestly, I cant remember if he apologized or not, but I forgave him all the same. He was acting-out like he was Captain America, albeit a bad one, but Dad had the real Superpowers at that moment.


Perhaps one of the best gifts we can bring to this world is a bit of understanding and compassion.  Maybe we admit our failures before the recipient even knows what happened.  Perhaps we forgive even when it's so very hard.  If Jesus taught us anything, it was grace.


When Jesus was witness to men of the local authority ready to stone a woman for adultery and brought her to the feet of Jesus they looked to him for his opinion.  Not only did he extend her grace, he taught them to do the same.  Hopefully at least one of them learned from it.



When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” John 8:7 - NIV


Even at the very last moments of His life, after Jesus was brutally beaten and nailed to a cross to die - he extended his grace to his persecutors.


Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing. Luke 23:34 - NIV
     

It doesn't cost a thing.

It will bring you release from either anger or guilt.

Take a baby-step today to give a little grace and see what happens.

It is probably the best use of stewardship there might be - what a gift.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Must Watch! "Be a Blessing"